This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our disclosure policy.
HOW TO QUICKLY SOFTEN BROWN SUGAR
Rock-hard brown sugar frequently catches us off guard, so planning ahead is not always an option. Put a lump of hardened sugar in a small microwave-safe bowl, cover it with a wet paper towel, and heat it for the quickest results. Use a fork to break up any large clumps of sugar as you microwave it on high for 20 seconds at a time. Avoid letting the sugar begin to melt because if you do, it will cool and harden into a caramelized disaster.
HOW TO STORE BROWN SUGAR TO KEEP IT SOFT
Brown sugar can be kept soft indefinitely by being kept in an airtight container inside of a resealable plastic bag (be sure to push out all the air before sealing the bag). Place a piece of bread at the bottom of the bag as additional protection. Just enough moisture will be present to hydrate the sugar. The bread won’t mold, so don’t worry.
READ: Meal Prep Timesavers
How To Soften Brown Sugar In The Microwave
- Place large clump of hardened brown sugar in a microwave safe bowl
- Cover with damp sheet of paper towel
- In 20 second increments microwave sugar on "high"
- Check for softness of brown sugar frequently and mix up occasionally with a fork
- Use caution to not overcook the sugar, or you will have a caramelized mess to clean up.