If you are craving a protein-packed soup full of Asian inspired flavors, such as ginger, chili powder, and sriracha, and coconut, then look no further. This easy-to-make Thai Coconut Chicken Soup recipe can be made quickly and uses many ingredients already found in your spice rack. Fancy equipment and a background in gastronomy are not required to elevate your soup game here. All you need is a knife, maybe a cutting board, and a large heavy pot.
THAI COCONUT CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE
I am a big fan of soups that are bursting with a variety of flavors. Sure, there are some simple bisques that I am fond of, but what I enjoy are soups that have elements of heat, savoriness, and a subtle sweetness all at the same time. There are few soups in my opinion that can accomplish all of those, however, this Thai Coconut Chicken Soup is one that can.
WHAT DOES THIS THAI SOUP RECIPE TASTE LIKE?
This soup recipe contains many elements of classic Thai recipes, with the addition of some rather common ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboard and refrigerator. You will taste the combination of coconut, and spiciness from the Sriracha. And the basic ingredients including the chicken and celery will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
THAI COCONUT CHICKEN SOUP INGREDIENTS
- Celery – 5 stalks
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – 5
- Yellow onion – 1
- Green Bell Pepper – 1
- 5 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 5 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder – 1 teaspoon
- 1 tsp Dried Basil – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Red Curry Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 4 cups
- Sriracha – 1 teaspoon
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 cup
HOW TO MAKE THIS THAI SOUP RECIPE
This is an easy recipe to make, and definitely, one to remember for those cold winter afternoons.
1. In a large, heavy pot, or dutch oven, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Sauté celery, green pepper, and onion until fork-tender.
3. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, keep stirring and be careful not to burn.
4. Add chicken and sauté until cooked throughout.
5. Add Chili Powder, Ginger Powder, Dried Basil, Salt, Red Curry Powder, Water, and Sriracha to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, stir in Heavy Whipping Cream and serve.
IS THAI COCONUT CHICKEN SOUP HEALTHY?
On the whole, this is a fairly balanced and nutritious recipe. The more organic ingredients with minimal preservatives you can use, the better. This Thai soup is packed with protein and contains many ingredients that have been linked to good cardiovascular health, such as coconut oil.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS SOUP RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME?
This recipe is best made and served right away. However, you can make this recipe ahead of time and bring it with you to a potluck party or put it in a Thermos and bring it along for a lunch on-the-go.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS SOUP?
This Thai Coconut Chicken Soup recipe can be made and frozen. You will need to thoroughly heat the soup again after thawing it since the coconut oil can turn back to a solid-state.
WHAT KITCHEN TOOLS DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS SOUP RECIPE?
- 5 stalks celery Diced
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts Chopped
- 1 yellow onion Diced
- 1 green bell pepper Diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red curry powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large heavy pot, over medium-high heat, melt coconut oil
- Sauté celery, green pepper, and onion until tender
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, keep stirring and be careful not to burn
- Add chicken and sauté until cooked throughout
- Add Chili Powder, Ginger Powder, Dried Basil, Salt, Red Curry Powder, Water, and Sriracha to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in Heavy Whipping Cream and serve.
Total carb - 11.75g;
Net carb (total carb minus fiber) - 8.57g;
Fiber - 2.25g;
Fat - 44g;
Protein - 30g;
Calories - 566g
1 thought on “Thai Coconut Chicken Soup”
Very flavorful and easy to make. Great for weeknight meals, and makes great leftovers!