This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our disclosure policy.
Grinding chicken at home is not only cost-effective but very easy. From start to finish you can have freshly ground chicken in under an hour.
WHY DO I GRIND TURKEY AT HOME?
Grinding your own meat at home can provide many benefits, including better flavor and texture, and the ability to control the ingredients and seasonings used. If you’re interested in grinding your own turkey at home but don’t have a grinder, don’t worry! This guide will show you how to do it without a grinder, using common kitchen tools that you probably already have.
READ: Meal Prep Timesavers
GROUND TURKEY INGREDIENTS
- Boneless, skinless, and raw turkey meat. As many pounds as you would like.
HOW TO GRIND YOUR OWN TURKEY
Here are the steps to grinding your own turkey meat at home without a grinder:
Select the right cut of turkey: Choose turkey breast or turkey thigh for the best results.
Thaw the turkey completely in the refrigerator if it’s frozen.
Cut the turkey into small pieces that will fit into a food processor.
Place the turkey pieces in the bowl of the food processor and pulse until it reaches the desired consistency. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Once you’ve ground the turkey, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Use the ground turkey in your favorite recipes, and experiment with different seasonings and flavors to add depth and flavor to your meat.
RELATED: How To Grind Your Own Beef At Home
IS GROUND TURKEY HEALTHY?
Ground turkey can be a healthy option, but it depends on the specific type of ground turkey and how it’s prepared. Here are some things to consider:
- Lean vs. fatty ground turkey: Ground turkey can range from very lean to high in fat, depending on the cut of meat used. Look for ground turkey that is labeled as “lean” or “extra lean” to keep the fat content lower.
- Additives: Some ground turkey products may have added salt or other ingredients that can affect the nutritional profile. Be sure to check the label and choose products with minimal additives.
- Preparation: How you prepare ground turkey can also affect its nutritional value. Using a lot of oil or butter to cook it, for example, can add extra fat and calories.
CAN YOU GRIND TURKEY AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can grind turkey ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to use it. If you’re storing ground turkey in the refrigerator, it’s best to use it within three days. If you’re storing it in the freezer, it will keep for up to three months.
When you’re ready to use the ground turkey, make sure to cook it thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F to kill any harmful bacteria that may be present.
CAN YOU FREEZE GROUND TURKEY?
HOW TO SERVE GROUND TURKEY MEAT?
How To Grind Your Own Turkey at Home
- Thaw the turkey completely in the refrigerator if it's frozen.
- Cut the turkey into small pieces that will fit into a food processor.
- Place the turkey pieces in the bowl of the food processor and pulse until it reaches the desired consistency. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Once you've ground the turkey, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months.
- Use the ground turkey in your favorite recipes, and experiment with different seasonings and flavors to add depth and flavor to your meat.