This post may contain affiliate links. Please check our disclosure policy.
This super simple, delicious Key Lime Sugar Cookie recipe will surely put a smile on your face and have you daydreaming about your next trip to Key West.
KEY LIME SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
I have a ritual. I say it’s a ritual, but some people might log it as a bad habit. If we take the kids on a beach trip where we do the cooking, one of the first items that find its way into our shopping cart is a Key Lime Pie. Unfortunately, one of my kids has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy, and most Key Lime Pie crusts contain nuts, usually almond or macadamia. So, the pie is off-limits to him. That’s where I come in to pick up the slack. Ok, total transparency, I usually wind up eating every serving of the pie. I love Key Lime pie. I also love sugar cookies, the softer, and butterier the better. So it only makes sense that I am a huge fan of these Key Lime Pie Sugar Cookies!
If you find yourself wondering “what can I make with fresh limes“, you might want to consider fast-forwarding to dessert. I present to you: the world’s best key lime cookie recipe!
WHAT ARE KEY LIME SUGAR COOKIES?
This recipe for key lime cookies is a pretty standard sugar cookie that incorporates the juice and zest of key limes, a product of South Florida.
WHAT DOES THIS KEY LIME SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE TASTE LIKE?
There is a wonderful medley of flavors in these key lime cookies. You will mostly taste citrus from the Key limes, butter, and sugar.
KEY LIME SUGAR COOKIE INGREDIENTS
- Butter – 1 cup, softened
- Granulated Sugar – 1 3/4 cup
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Key Lime Juice – 4 teaspoons
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Flour – 3 cups
- Zest from 1 Key lime
HOW TO MAKE THIS KEY LIME SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
These sugar cookies are super simple to make, and don’t take a lot of time. If you have kids helping you in the kitchen, they will enjoy rolling the dough and putting it on the baking sheets.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar.
4. Add vanilla, egg, key lime juice, and lime zest (optional).
5. Add flour mixture, one cup at a time, and mix until thoroughly combined.
6. Roll 1 tablespoon portions of cookie dough into balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, or nonstick cookie sheet, roughly 1.5 inches apart.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are just barely browned.
8. Either enjoy now, or allow to cool completely and add frosting.
ARE SUGAR COOKIES CONSIDERED HEALTHY?
I think it would be best if we put key lime cookies in the “indulgence” file.
Will you find this cookie on any fancy spa restaurant menus? No.
Will you lose a ton of weight, and be enjoying this cookie the whole time? Also, no. But, if you are looking for tasty little something and can’t decide between citrusy and buttery…then look no further than this recipe for key lime cookies.
CAN YOU ANY OF THIS SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! You can make the cookie dough and save it in the freezer for a few months in an airtight container.
CAN YOU FREEZE SUGAR COOKIES?
It’s best to freeze the key lime cookie mix if you don’t plan on baking them right away. As far as the baked cookies, you could freeze them, but once you thaw them out, they may become too crumbly.
WHAT KITCHEN TOOLS DO I NEED TO MAKE KEY LIME SUGAR COOKIES?
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla, egg, key lime juice, and lime zest (optional).
- Add flour mixture, one cup at a time, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon portions of cookie dough into balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, or nonstick cookie sheet, roughly 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are just barely browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, blend all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.