VISITING THE FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS WITH KIDS
Saddle up for a wild adventure in the heart of Texas! The Fort Worth Stockyards is a one-of-a-kind destination that will transport your family back in time to the Wild West. From bull riding and cattle drives to cowboy boots and hats, this historic district has everything you need for an unforgettable family getaway. Get ready to experience the thrill of the rodeo, explore unique shops, and indulge in mouthwatering barbecue. So grab your boots and hats, saddle up, and get ready for a family-friendly trip to the Fort Worth Stockyards!
RELATED: Tracking Dinosaurs at Dinosaur Valley State Park: A Family-Friendly Guide to Adventure
WHAT IS THE FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS?
The Fort Worth Stockyards is a historic district located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is the site of the former Fort Worth Stockyards, which were once one of the largest livestock markets in the world. The district is now home to many shops, restaurants, and attractions, including the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, Stockyards Championship Rodeo, and Cowtown Coliseum.
14 REASONS TO VISIT THE STOCKYARDS IN FORT WORTH WITH KIDS
- Enjoy a thrilling cattle drive through the Stockyards every day.
- Visit the Stockyards Museum to learn more about the area’s history.
- Take in the iconic Texas Longhorn cattle grazing in the Stockyards.
- Enjoy the exciting rodeo performances in the Cowtown Coliseum.
- Explore the unique shops and restaurants in the area.
- Enjoy live music on the outdoor stage.
- Experience the famous Billy Bob’s Texas honky-tonk.
- Take a tour of the Stockyards on a guided wagon ride.
- Visit the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame.
- Enjoy a petting zoo and pony rides for the kids.
- See the famous Texas longhorn steers in the Cattle Barns.
- Take a walking tour of the Historic Stockyards District.
- Visit the Texas Trail of Fame and see the stars of the western genre.
- Shop for souvenirs and Western apparel in the many stores.
8 FACTS ABOUT THE FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS
- The Fort Worth Stockyards is a historic district located in Fort Worth, Texas.
- The Stockyards were officially established in 1887 as part of the Fort Worth Stockyards Company.
- The Fort Worth Stockyards is one of the most iconic tourist attractions in Texas.
- The Fort Worth Stockyards is a National Historic District.
- The Stockyards is home to the world’s only daily cattle drive.
- The cattle drives occur twice daily at 11:30am and 4:00pm.
- The Stockyards is home to the world’s only Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame.
- The Stockyards is home to the world’s only Stockyard Museum.
HOW MANY DAYS DO YOU NEED TO EXPLORE THE STOCKYARDS
BEST TIME OF YEAR TO VISIT FORT WORTH'S STOCKYARDS
The best time of year to visit the Fort Worth Stockyards is in the spring, from March through May. During this time, the weather is mild and the area is filled with blooming wildflowers and lush green grass. The stockyards are a popular tourist destination and the number of visitors increases significantly during this time. Visitors can also take advantage of seasonal events and activities, such as the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, held in February and March each year.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE AT THE STOCKYARDS IN FORT WORTH?
WHAT IS THE NUMBER ONE ATTRACTION AT THE FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS?
WHAT ARE THE TOP ATTRACTIONS FOR THE FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS?
- Fort Worth Herd Cattle Drive: Watch the twice-daily longhorn cattle drive and learn about the history of the Stockyards.
- Stockyards Museum: Visit this museum to learn about the history of the Stockyards and the Fort Worth Livestock Exchange.
- Billy Bob’s Texas: Explore this world-famous honky-tonk, complete with a dance hall, saloon, and concert venue.
- Cowtown Coliseum: Check out the world’s first indoor rodeo arena, which opened in 1908.
- Stockyards Championship Rodeo: Experience the weekly rodeo event and watch the cowboys compete in bull riding, barrel racing, and more.
- Fort Worth Water Gardens: Explore the tranquil gardens, which feature a variety of waterfalls, fountains, and pools.
- Fort Worth Zoo: Visit the zoo to see more than 5,000 animals from around the world.
- Sundance Square: Explore the downtown area, which is home to restaurants, stores, art galleries, and more.
- Fort Worth Firefighters Museum: Learn about the history of the Fort Worth Fire Department with a visit to this museum.
- Old West Gunfight Shows: Watch an old-fashioned gunfight show featuring cowboys and outlaws.
15 FUN FAMILY ACTIVITIES NEAR THE FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS
- Take a guided tour of the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards.
- Watch the twice-daily cattle drive.
- Enjoy a western-style dinner at the famous Cattlemen’s Steakhouse.
- Take a trail ride at the Stockyards Stables.
- Enjoy some classic Western entertainment at Billy Bob’s Texas.
- Visit the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame.
- Take a ride on the Grapevine Vintage Railroad.
- Ride the Fort Worth Herd horses.
- Go shopping at the Cowtown Coliseum.
- Catch a show at the Stockyards Station.
- Take a stroll through the Stockyards Saloon.
- Take the kids to the Texas Cowboy Museum.
- Enjoy a meal at the White Elephant Saloon.
- Visit the famous Stockyards Museum.
- Play some mini-golf at Rockwood Go-Karts and Mini Golf.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE STOCKYARDS
When visiting the Fort Worth Stockyards with kids, it’s important to be prepared. Here are some essential items to bring:
- Comfortable walking shoes – There’s a lot of ground to cover, so make sure everyone is wearing comfortable shoes.
- Sunscreen and hats – The Texas sun can be intense, so protect your family’s skin with sunscreen and hats.
- Water bottles – Staying hydrated is key, especially in the heat.
- Snacks – There are plenty of food options at the Stockyards, but it’s always good to have some snacks on hand for hungry kids.
- Camera – You’ll want to capture all the fun memories you’ll make at the Stockyards.
- Cash – Some vendors may only accept cash, so be sure to bring some with you.
- Stroller or carrier – If you have young children, a stroller or carrier can be helpful for tired little legs.
RELATED: Road Trip Essentials For Kids
IS THERE DINING OR RESTAURANTS AT OR NEAR FORT WORTH RODEO AND STOCKYARDS?
Yes, there are several restaurants at or near the Fort Worth Stockyards. These include Cattlemen’s Steakhouse, H3 Ranch, Joe T. Garcia’s, Lonesome Dove Western Bistro, Love Shack, Reata, Riscky’s Barbeque, and The White Elephant Saloon.
IS THERE LODGING OR CAMPING AT OR NEAR THE STOCKYARDS?
Yes, there is lodging and camping near the Fort Worth Stockyards. The Stockyards Hotel is located just a few blocks away from the Stockyards, and there are several other hotels and motels located nearby, like the Courtyard Marriott and SpringHill Suites by Marriott. There is also a KOA Campground located about 10 minutes away from the Stockyards.
HOW TO GET TO FORT WORTH STOCKYARDS AND RODEO
The Fort Worth Stockyards are located on the north side of Fort Worth, Texas. The best way to get there is via car, as the area is located about 20 minutes from downtown Fort Worth.
You can also reach the Stockyards via public transportation. The nearest bus stop is located at Main St and Exchange Ave, and the nearest TEXRail station is located at 9th Ave and Jones St.
MORE FUN STUFF TO CHECK OUT: